[Buildroot] [V3 2/2] dropbear: unbundle libtomath & libtomcrypt

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Wed Mar 21 20:22:55 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 22:16:08 +0200, Baruch Siach wrote:

> Here is my full commit on v2:
>
> Since both libraries are static only, this does not reduce the binary size. On
> the other hand, bundled libraries are more likely to work correctly with any
> give version of dropbear. The only benefit of using external libraries is when
> there is a security update to the libraries. But unless there is a known issue
> now, I'm not sure it's worth it.
>
> Do you see other reasons to prefer unbundling?

Well, exactly the one you mention: security issues.

In fact, I think you're putting the problem in the wrong direction. I
would rather say: "Unless there is a good reason to not use external
libraries, we should use external libraries rather than bundled ones".

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com