[Buildroot] Plug/unplug ethernet connector does not detected on Raspberry PI3 B+

Oscar Gomez Fuente oscargomezf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:02:06 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm using the HW: Raspberry Pi 3B+ and buildroot-2018.02.5 (with
LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_REPO_VERSION="865ddc1393f558198e7e7ce70928ff2e49c4f7f6")
and I have the following problem.

I've started the system with the ethernet unplugged. After the system has
initiated completely, I log in using the uart console, and I plug the
ethernet cable, but I'm not able to up eth0 without executing ifup eth0
command.

This is my /etc/network/interface:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
        pre-up /etc/network/wait_iface $IFACE 20
        pre-up /sbin/ip link set $IFACE up
        pre-up /etc/network/nfs_check
        pre-up /sbin/udhcpc -R -b -p /var/run/udhcpc.${IFACE}.pid -i $IFACE
        post-down /bin/kill -9 $(cat /var/run/udhcpc.${IFACE}.pid)
        post-down /sbin/ip link set $IFACE down

I would like that the ifup eth0 was executed automatically when the plug
ethernet cable is detected, but it seems to be when I plug/unplug the
ethernet cable the kernel isn't detect it.

I've check the same buildroot-2018.02.5 version in the Raspberry pi 3B
(instead of 3B+) and it works fine, so I think it's something related with
the driver associated to the phy LAN7515
The raspberry pi has the LAN9514.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the driver associated with the
LAN9515 (Raspberry Pi 3B+)?

Best regards.

Oscar Gomez Fuente
TST Sistemas