[Buildroot] TestFileCapabilities is broken

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Sun Oct 14 13:25:43 UTC 2018

Hello,

The TestFileCapabilities test of our test suite is failing, with:

FAIL: test_run (tests.core.test_file_capabilities.TestFileCapabilities)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/builds/buildroot.org/buildroot/support/testing/tests/core/test_file_capabilities.py", line 44, in test_run
    self.assertIn("cap_kill", output[0])
AssertionError: 'cap_kill' not found in '/usr/sbin/getcap'

I did a local build, and I can reproduce the issue. What we do is we
run "getcap -v /usr/sbin/getcap" on the target, and it returns just:

# getcap -v /usr/sbin/getcap
/usr/sbin/getcap

And not any of the extended attributes that getcap is supposed to have.
I had a quick look, and makedevs gets run with a correct device table
when generating the common tarball. I don't know when extended
attributes are lost.

Could you have a look ?

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin