[Buildroot] Boot without busybox

Ranran ranshalit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 07:31:41 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 10:07 AM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael at amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 9:05 AM Ranran <ranshalit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > As part of Linux hardening we want to remove busybox from filesystem.
> > But I am not sure if system can boot without it.
> > I am quite sure that there are init files that depends on busybox.
>
> Why you just strip down busybox. Hardening of a minimal init script that come
> from busybox seems more reasonable then try to go to start linux init.
>

> > Is it possible to boot without busybox or does it require a custom init ?
>
> Let's start that you require some process that it will be your init.
> It can be a very limited
> an custom one

Do you mean start minimizing busybox with "make busybox-menuconfig" ?
Should I choose busybox init or another init system (such as systemd) ?
When doing such process, is it easy to understand what the cause of
failure whenever something in init fails ?

Thanks,
Ran