[Buildroot] Boot without busybox

Ranran ranshalit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 16:03:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

> On 20/10/2018 08:04, Ranran wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As part of Linux hardening we want to remove busybox from filesystem.
>
>  How does replacing busybox with bloatware harden your system?

I actually thought of removing it totally (no replacement), but if
this is not possible on buildroot we might consider other alternatives
(such as minimizing its capability).

> > But I am not sure if system can boot without it.
> > I am quite sure that there are init files that depends on busybox.
> >
> > Is it possible to boot without busybox or does it require a custom init ?
>
>  We have support for 3 different init systems: busybox, sysvinit, and systemd.
> There is also the "none" option, but then you're on your own for finding the
> appropriate init system. You can use it for using s6 as init system, for example.
>
>  If you remove Busybox entirely, you will also have to manually select all the
> other packages needed to get a minimal Unix system, like GNU coreutils, some
> shell, util-linux, ...

Isn't removing buildroot just a matter of selections in menuconfig ?
I mean, must I know which package should be replcaed with others or is
it that buildroot menu shall automatically choose for me the correct
selection when I remove busybox ?

Thanks,
ranran