[Buildroot] [RFC 1/1] toolchain-external/Config.in: Allow to select custom external-toolchain package

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Mon Apr 15 06:57:24 UTC 2019

Hello,

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 23:39:38 +0200
Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

> > +config BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_OTHER
> > +	bool "Other"
> > +	help
> > +	  Use this option to use a external toolchain from custom package
> > +	  (e.g. in external project).
>
>  So, the idea is to extend the choice with toolchains that come from
> BR2_EXTERNAL and that you can't select here, right? And you need something like
> that because it's a choice, and there's no way to extend the choice in a
> different Kconfig file.
>
>  I think this is a worthwhile idea, so I'd like to work it out a little more...
> Adding Yann in Cc since he like that kind of external craziness :-)
>
>  If kept like this, then I think you should make it depend on a new (blind)
> BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_OTHER_AVAILABLE option, and that an external toolchain
> package should select that option. This way, the option is only available if
> your external tree actually makes one available.
>
>  Also, it should be documented in docs/manual/customize-outside-br.txt.
>
>  However, it's still pretty inconvenient for the user. So perhaps we could
> explicitly extend the external infra to generate a .br2-external.toolchain.in
> that is included from here. This file would be populated based on the file
> toolchain/Config.in in the external.
>
>  Thomas, is that idea over-engineered?

It is over-engineered, but there is not much choice if we want to allow
implementing external toolchains in BR2_EXTERNAL, which would
definitely be useful.

The downside of Vadim's approach is that it limits the BR2_EXTERNAL to
implementing only one external toolchain, since it's only adding one
entry to the choice. Your approach would be more flexible.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com