[Buildroot] Possible conflict with systemd and e2fsprogs?

Dominik Menke dom at digineo.de
Tue Apr 30 10:23:23 UTC 2019

On 4/29/19 10:37 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
> On 29/04/2019 18:18, Dominik Menke wrote:
>> [    4.547439] systemd-fsck[94]: /dev/mmcblk0p2: Superblock last write time (Mon
>> Apr 29 17:37:11 2019,
>> [    4.551637] systemd-fsck[94]:     now = Thu Feb 14 11:11:59 2019) is in the
>> future.
>
>   My systemd-fu is not great, but it looks weird that now = somewhere in 2019 if
> you have no RTC. I believe fsck has code to ignore the time-in-future check if
> now ~ 1970.

The "now" date coincides with the commit date of
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/e62a7fea757f259eb330da5b6d3ab4ede46400a2.
 From what I can gather, systemd-timesyncd claims to be responsible for
setting the initial boot time. systemd-timesyncd.service(8) reads:

> /var/lib/systemd/timesync/clock
>
> The modification time of this file indicates the timestamp of the
> last successful synchronization (or at least the systemd build date,
> in case synchronization was not possible).

However, after disabling systemd-timesyncd (in menuconfig) and a clean
build, the date persists...

I'm now considering to permanently add fsck.mode=skip to the kernel
command line. That'll restore the default behaviour for BR2 systems with
systemd enabled and ext4 partitions (util-linux' fsck does not provide
support for those).

My short term goal is to get to an A/B booting scheme anyway. I can then
trigger fsck manually on the running system for the *other* root fs,
instead of the *current* root fs.

I'm aware this is a "works for me" solution.

Again, thanks for your time and input!
Dominik