[Buildroot] Notifications about outdated packages

François Perrad francois.perrad at gadz.org
Sat Aug 17 18:03:12 UTC 2019

Le jeu. 15 août 2019 à 12:18, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com>
a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Many of you have probably seen a change in the daily e-mail
> notifications about autobuilder failures: it has gained some details
> about packages in Buildroot that are outdated compared to the latest
> available upstream version. In this e-mail, I'd like to give a bit of
> background and explanation about this feature and how it works.
>
> Our source of information is the https://release-monitoring.org/, which
> tracks the releases of a large number of open-source projects. It is a
> project that we can contribute to, to make it track more projects, fix
> how existing projects are being tracked, etc.
>
> release-monitoring.org allows to search for packages in two ways:
>
>  - Simply by name. This works fine when the name of the package in
>    Buildroot matches the name of the package in release-monitoring.org.
>
>  - By "mapping". release-monitoring.org has a concept of
>    "distributions" (https://release-monitoring.org/distros/), and we
>    have a Buildroot distribution registered
>    (https://release-monitoring.org/distro/Buildroot/). This concept
>    allows to create a custom mapping between the name of a package in
>    Buildroot, and the actual package known by release-monitoring.org.
>    This is useful for packages that have a different name between
>    Buildroot and release-monitoring.org. An example of this are our
>    Python packages (that have a python- prefix) or our X.org packages.

release-monitoring.org has a CPAN backend.
We have currently 110 packages using the perl/cpan infrastructure.
The current http://autobuild.buildroot.net/stats/ shows 4 packages found by
`distro`, others are in the status 'Not found'.

I think that 110 packages could be found by `guess`, because with the
perl/cpan infrastructure, we have the distribution name.
For example, with perl-foo-bar:
     PERL_FOO_BAR_NAME=perl-foo-bar
     PERL_FOO_BAR_DISTNAME=Foo-Bar (used by the target perl-foo-bar-upgrade)

So, the search must use *_DISTNAME instead of *_NAME

Note: the luarocks infrastructure supplies an equivalent which is named
*_NAME_UPSTREAM.

François