[Buildroot] Generation of locales

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Sun Jun 23 18:37:54 UTC 2019

Hello Witold,

Sorry for the very long delay before this reply.

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 11:38:01 +0100
WK <sdrb at onet.eu> wrote:

> I noticed that compiling buildroot a few times without "make clean" the
> size of locale-archive file in $(TARGET_DIR)/usr/lib/locale is increasing.
>
> The strange thing is that it occures about three times and then it stops
> increasing.

I was not able to reproduce. I built the following defconfig:

BR2_arm=y
BR2_cortex_a8=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LINARO_ARM=y
BR2_INIT_NONE=y
BR2_SYSTEM_BIN_SH_NONE=y
BR2_GENERATE_LOCALE="fr_FR.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8"
# BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX is not set
# BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_TAR is not set

After the first build, the size of output/target/usr/lib/locale was:

$ du -sb output/target/usr/lib/locale/
1678944	output/target/usr/lib/locale/

Then I restarted "make" (without doing "make clean"), and looked at the
size again, and it was exactly the same.

Could you provide a defconfig + scenario that allows to reproduce the
issue, and indicate which version of Buildroot you're using ? We
recently updated localedef, perhaps the behavior changed ?

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com