[Buildroot] No $(HOST_DIR)/bin/python symlink when building host-pyhton3

Avraham Shukron avraham.shukron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 20:01:08 UTC 2019

I'm trying to build for qemu_x86_64 on a clean installation of Ubuntu 18.04.
Ubuntu 18.04 comes with python3 only. There is no symlink named `python` by
default on the PATH.

The qemu_x86_64_defconfig does not select python nor python3 for the target.
Nonetheless there are still many packages depending on host-python /
host-python3.

Buildroot will only build host-python3 in this case in order to save build
time.
BUT - for a reason I can''t fully understand, python3.mk does not install
the HOST symlink unless pyhton3 is selected for the TARGET.

So to summarize: No python on target, python3 on host, but no symlink
installed on $(HOST_DIR)/bin/python.

When trying to build, packages begin to fail for not finding python.
The first one is host-ninja, but that is an easy one since it requires
python3 specifically, so I explicitly specified $(HOST_DIR)/bin/python3.

But now host-qemu fails to configure because it can't find python and I
don't know what to do.

The way I see it - there has to be SOME python installed to the host
directory at $(HOST_DIR)/bin/python, but if you don't select python for the
target then you don't get the symlink on the host.

What should I do?