[Buildroot] Build failure on upgrade to 2019.08.1

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Oct 10 15:41:38 UTC 2019

On 10/10/2019 17:01, Steve Calfee wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/10/2019 23:55, Steve Calfee wrote:
>>> I built the buildroot toolchain in one BR tree, to use as an external
>>> toolchain in another.
>>
>>  I assume you use it as a preinstalled external toolchain?
>
> Yes, as I have done for several years on many buildroot versions.

 I'm asking because the pre-installed external toolchain doesn't get that much
testing. So it is not impossible for it to break.

 However, I just tried a build of dbus with a preinstalled external toolchain
and it completed without a hitch.

[snip]
>>> And then in another tree I checked out 2019.08.1, loaded in my old
>>> defconfig and then started a build.

 BTW, myself, I never start from a defconfig when I update Buildroot; I start
from a full config. That avoids problems when defaults for some options have
changed. Note however that this can't explain your build failure (and even so it
wouldn't be an excuse :-).

>>> Fairly quickly in the build I get
>>> this link failure.
>>>
>>> libtool: link: /home/calfee/edi-workspace/buildroot/output/host/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi-gcc
>>> -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wall -Wextra -Wundef -Wwrite-strings
>>> -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls
>>> -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wformat=2
>>> -Wcast-align -Wformat-nonliteral -Wformat-security -Wsign-compare
>>> -Wstrict-aliasing -Wshadow -Winline -Wpacked
>>> -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wmissing-noreturn -Winit-self
>>> -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wunused-but-set-variable -Warray-bounds
>>> -Wreturn-type -Wswitch-enum -Wswitch-default -Wduplicated-cond
>>> -Wduplicated-branches -Wlogical-op -Wrestrict -Wnull-dereference
>>> -Wdouble-promotion -Wchar-subscripts -Wfloat-equal -Wpointer-sign
>>> -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-cast-function-type -Wno-unused-label
>>> -Wnested-externs -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
>>> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wimplicit-function-declaration
>>> -Wold-style-definition -Wjump-misses-init -Wno-error=unused-parameter
>>> -Wno-error=missing-field-initializers
>>> -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Wno-error=cast-function-type
>>> -Wno-error=unused-label -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
>>> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Os -Wl,--no-as-needed -o
>>> dbus-update-activation-environment
>>> dbus-update-activation-environment.o tool-common.o
>>> ../dbus/.libs/libdbus-1.so -Wl,-rpath
>>> -Wl,/home/calfee/edi-workspace/buildroot/output/build/dbus-1.12.16/dbus/.libs
>>> /home/calfee/edi-workspace/toolchain/output/host/lib/gcc/arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi/8.3.0/../../../../arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld:
>>> warning: libpthread.so.0, needed by ../dbus/.libs/libdbus-1.so, not
>>> found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>>
>>  There's no error here, just a warning... But I guess it is followed by some
>> undefined pthread symbols.
>>
> Yes, about 4 undefined symbols.
>

>>  It's weird though, since the sysroot/lib directory should be in the toolchain's
>> standard search path.
>>
>>  Could you run the link command with an additional -v option so we see the
>> library search path?
>>
>>  Regards,
>>  Arnout
>>

> I really appreciate you trying to help. I cannot see how to add a link
> option. I tried "make V=2" but with no effect.
>
> The makefile stuff is pretty complicated. The one in the buildroot
> base directory does not have a link command that I can see. I tried
> just re-entering the command that was sent to the console with make

 Yes, that's what I meant: enter the `.../arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi-gcc
-fno-strict-aliasing ...` command with an additional -v...

> V=1, but I don't seem to be in the correct directory to issue that
> command.

 ... from the directory that contains dbus-update-activation-environment.c, i.e.
output/build/dbus-1.12.16/tools/

 You can also also set BR2_DEBUG_WRAPPER=1 in the environment to see the options
that really get passed to gcc.

 Regards,
 Arnout