[Buildroot] [pkg-luarocks 3/6] pkg-luarocks: regen packages with external dependencies

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu Sep 19 19:11:03 UTC 2019

Hello François,

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 18:38:14 +0200
François Perrad <francois.perrad at gadz.org> wrote:

> Previously, there is in the config file:
>     external_deps_dirs = { getenv('STAGING_DIR') .. [[/usr]] }
> and this path was globally used.
>
> The config file is common for host-luarocks and luarocks,
> so this way is no longer doable.

We cannot pass a separate configuration file when building things for
the host and building things for the target ?

> `external_deps_dirs` has no equivalent as CLI option.
> But for each external dependency `BAR`, a CLI option `BAR_DIR` is available
> and must be set to `$(STAGING_DIR)/usr` (This is the LuaRocks way).
>
> There are some explanations in the commit log 2/6.
>
> If you look at the final point of the serie, the LuaRocks infrastructure is
> greatly improved:
>   - host-luarocks is now supported
>   - luarocks.mk contains no longer the cross-compilation stuff
>   - the macro _INSTALL_TARGET_CMDS in pkg-luarocks, contains all the
> cross-compilation stuff (better design compatible with per-package folders)
>   - luarocks is called without the full path of host-lua and without
> LUAROCKS_RUN_ENV

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that the series brings a number
of useful improvements. I just find it annoying that now all packages
need to pass a BAR_DIR = $(STAGING_DIR)/usr for all their native
dependencies, while it was not needed before. So that's why I'm asking
a few questions to see if we could do better.

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com