[Buildroot] Buildroot Logo Pictograph

Jonathan Ben Avraham yba at tkos.co.il
Sun Sep 22 05:53:56 UTC 2019

Hi Baruch,
See inlines below.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019, Baruch Siach wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:15:03 +0300
> From: Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>
> To: buildroot <buildroot at buildroot.org>
> Cc: Hadas Cohen <hadas.cohen at solid-run.com>
> Subject: [Buildroot] Buildroot Logo Pictograph
>
> Hi Buildroot developers,
>
> We have a nice recognizable logo that illustrates what Buildroot is
> about. Being far from expert (or even amateur) in graphic design, I find it
> perfect. But when Hadas Cohen, SolidRun's graphic designer, considered using
> the Buildroot logo in a brochure, she noticed a problem. It turns out that a
> realistic picture is no go for logo design. As a result she could not use the
> logo as is, because it looks markedly different than other logos in the
> brochure.
>
> Hadas referred me to this professional looking explanation of why photograph
> is not a good choice for a logo:
>
>  https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270284
>
> Hadas also collected a few hundred random logos to demonstrate the point:
>
>  http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/2616906744_a238697a95_b.jpg
>
> SolidRun management agreed to let Hadas design an iconic pictograph version of
> the Buildroot logo. Here is the result.
>
> Two colored logo alternatives:
>
>  http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/colored_logo.png
>  http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/colored_logo2.png

This is a clearcut trademark conflict with MontaVista Hard Hat Linux,
https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/307/1222. Also
google "hardhat linux logo", and asking for trouble, as is the yellow hardhat
currently displayed on the Buildroot site.

Whatever logo we choose, before investing in graphics we need to do a careful
trademark search. I suggest that you ask Thomas about the possible adverse
results of trademark conflicts. You really need to be careful.

It is clear that we also need trademark protection for whatever logo is chosen.
This is not cheap.

  - yba

> Two monochromatic alternatives:
>
>  http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/bw_logo.png
>  http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/bw_logo2.png
>
> Hadas can provide the vectorized SVG and PDF sources of these raster images.
>
> What do you think?
>
> baruch
>
> --
>     http://baruch.siach.name/blog/                  ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
>   - baruch at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

  9590 8E58 D30D 1660 C349  673D B205 4FC4 B8F5 B7F9  ~. .~  Tk Open Systems
=}-------- Jonathan Ben-Avraham ("yba") ----------ooO--U--Ooo------------{=
mailto:yba at tkos.co.il tel:+972.52.486.3386 http://tkos.co.il skype:benavrhm