[Buildroot] Status of LLVM

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 00:59:05 UTC 2020

Hello Markus,

Le 01/08/2020 à 02:20, Markus Mayer a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Looking through the mailing list archives, I found a patch series
> proposed last September to support clang as cross-compiler.
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2019-September/258744.html
>
> It seems that most patches from this series haven't been pulled into
> mainline as of yet. What is the current status of using LLVM and clang
> to build Buildroot? As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be
> support for this right now. What are the plans going forward?

Thanks for your interest for this series!
For now, we only have llvm/clang packages to deploy libraries on the target.
This allow to enable llvm-pipe and opencl (libclc) support on the target.

The first patch of this series needs to be upstreamed:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20190907094027.9537-2-romain.naour@smile.fr/

It seems that llvm doesn't work well with toolchain using a relocated sysroot
(--sysroot).

The rest of the series allow using clang as cross-compiler in all package
infrastructure and for the Linux kernel.

This series should be completed by the compiler-rt from Matthew Weber:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=181074

We also had a discussion about using clang as native compiler
(related to
https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=546a4e1c1f5e219566469511c998ec7c7152e5ee)

It would be interesting to enable riscv support for llvm/clang.

But it require some time to work on it, and most of this work has been done on
spare time.

Best regards,
Romain