[Buildroot] Cannot get build to use start_x.elf and fixup_x.dat Raspberry Pi 3

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sat Aug 1 08:06:48 UTC 2020

Vijay, All,

On 2020-07-31 18:01 -0700, Vijay spake thusly:
> I'm fairly new to buildroot and cannot find a solution to this problem
> I'm having. Everything works well for me and I'm able to create the SD
> card images to run on my Pi 3. However, I'm trying to get the extended
> ("x") firmware to boot. In the Target Packages > Hardware Handling >
> Firmware section, I'm selecting the extended option. Buildroot is
> building all the different variations of the start.elf (including
> start_x.elf, start_cd.elf) but only using the start.elf file in the
> final image instead of the start_x.elf file (same with fixup.dat). So
> basically whether I select the "default" option on that screen or
> "extended," the resulting boot image is the same. If I manually copy
> the start_x.elf and fixup_x.dat files as start.elf and fixup.dat the
> I get the extended functionality - specifically the camera working.
> I hope all that makes sense. Please let me know if you need any
> further information. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The corret files are copied to the unqualified names, and the
unqualified names are loaded at boot; see the comment in config.txt

Also, see commit 1bdc0334f, which fixed that recently on master. It was
backported to 2020.05.x, but not to the LTS 2020.02...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |