[Buildroot] Root password and ssh issues

Peter Seiderer ps.report at gmx.net
Fri Aug 7 11:35:52 UTC 2020

Hello *,

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 13:16:56 +0200, Titouan Christophe <titouan.christophe at railnova.eu> wrote:

> Hello Michael, Thomas, Peter and all,
>
> I'm also running my test device with Buildroot 2020.02.4, dropbear and
> root:root password authentication; I cannot reproduce the problem.
>
> On 7/08/20 13:12, Peter Seiderer wrote:
> > Hello Michael,
> >
> > On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 12:21:51 +0200, Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenacker at bootlin.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Thomas,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your quick reply!

> >> Here are the details
> >>
> >> # ls -la /etc/shadow
> >> -rw-------    1 1000     1000           190 Aug  7  2020 /etc/shadow
> >>
> >> # cat /etc/shadow
> >> root:$5$D1pz/P1l$JCZhyjzCCqmXbnPx7g/mBtNtSSKkMqgctsmV/zBmlR2:::::::
>
> [--SNIP--]
>
> >> # cat /etc/shadow
> >> root:$1$SYGd3a37$u2RV/VOsLPqWznY4GR1jU.:13514::::::
>
> So, when you used `passwd`, the password hashing algorithm has changed
> from SHA512 ($5$) to MD5 ($1$). I found a similar issue though it dates
> back to 2016, maybe that could help:
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2016-February/154348.html

...and should be fixed for uclibc by commit 'package/uclibc: defconfig:
enable sha-256/512 password auth support' ([1])...

By the way, maybe it would be nice if the buildroot password hash
selection although changes the busybox default via
busybox/.config CONFIG_FEATURE_DEFAULT_PASSWD_ALGO="md5"?

Regards,
Peter

[1] https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=bdd8362a88428ed1c04fc6f4bbcbf7692b2a2b39