[Buildroot] SSHD issue between 2015 and 2020 versions

Stephen Beckwith embeddedsteve at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:02:16 UTC 2020

Peter,
  Thank you for your reply.  As I pointed out in the document:
2020 Buildroot creates a "full_users_table.txt" in the
output/build/buildroot_fs directory, whereas the 2015 version puts a
_users_table.txt in the output/build directory.  In the case of the 2015
Buildroot, this file is "empty", whereas the 2020 Buildroot has an entry in
this file that seems to be placed there by the Buildroot infrastructure.
Why?  (I realize infrastructure changes occur between releases and we're
making a might big leap here).
I did update the Buildroot configuration via menuconfig (we save off a
defconfig) since there are new default options for packages,etc in the new
Buildroot release.
A "simple build" is not possible, due to the nature of our setup using an
external tree for the proprietary code.
I did a build from "scratch" (we call extraclean, removes the output
directory and does a complete re-setup of the target information we use).
This builds fine, without opensshd enabled in the configuration.  I then
use menuconfig to enable opensshd (in target packages->networking) and do a
"make" here and I get this error at the end when we package up the entire
system.  the opensshd itself builds correctly.
The contents of the full_users_table.txt file comes from the
sshd-sysusers.conf file in the 2020 Buildroot openssh package.  We do NOT
use systemd or Device Tree.  Yet this is defined as the OPENSSH_USERS in
the opensshd.mk file, how does this then get to the full_users_table.txt???
I have enclosed the .config file used to build WITH opensshd enabled.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Stephen Beckwith