[Buildroot] What do we want to do with Python2?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Mon Jan 13 10:46:18 UTC 2020

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:03:26 +0100
Titouan Christophe <titouan.christophe at railnova.eu> wrote:

> I did not had so much time to continue on the Py2 deprecation track
> since the ELCE developer meeting, but I intend to continue at the next
> one (FOSDEM).
>
> In my opinion, we should strive for a Python3 only Buildroot for the
> 2021.02 release, and use the year 2020 to either remove Py2-only
> packages, or wait for an upstream update. I would like to prioritize the
> packages that use Python at compile time, because that would allow us to
> get rid of host-python2 first (maybe even for the 2020.05 ?).

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of host-python2 if you still have
python2 available as a target package, because building the target
Python interpreter requires having the matching host Python interpreter
available.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com