[Buildroot] rm_work

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu Jun 18 07:23:03 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:01:36 +0200
Wolfgang Grandegger <wg at grandegger.com> wrote:

> I want to build my Buildroot-BSP in a RAMdisk, but there is not enough
> space for the build directory. Is it possible to free the build
> resources immediately after the package has been build, installed and
> deployed, similar to Yocto's "rm_work". At least I didn't find an option
> in the "Build Options" menu. Could such a feature be implemented easily?

We indeed do not have such an option. In *theory* it could be easily
implemented. However, in practice, there are a number of cases where
the build directory of a package gets used even *after* that package
has been completely built/installed.

A simple example: building external kernel modules. We use the Linux
kernel build tree in output/build/linux-<version>/.

So, if we want to reach the goal of being able to drop the build
directory of each package after its build is completed, quite a few
packages will have to be changed/fixed.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com