[Buildroot] When building the net-next kernel, buildroot is asking for all the kernel config options one by one to enable

Andreas Ziegler br015 at umbiko.net
Fri May 1 09:51:11 UTC 2020

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 07:32:55 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Ganesh <ganesh45in at gmail.com>
> To: buildroot at busybox.net
> Subject: [Buildroot] When building the net-next kernel, buildroot is
> 	asking for all the kernel config options one by one to enable

Hi Ganesh,

> I have done the following steps before starting the kernel build:
>
> 1. Put my defconfig inside the kernel/arch/arm/config
> 2. Go to buildroot directory, make <my_project_defconfig>
> 3. make
>
> my_project_defconfig has the following lines of concern:
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_CUSTOM_CONFIG=y
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE="<kernel path of the defconfig>"
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DTS_SUPPORT=y
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INTREE_DTS_NAME="My_dts.dts"

Just some remarks about your project configuration:

1. Ideally, you should not copy your kernel defconfig to the kernel tree
manually, it might get overwritten by the rsync() command. Just
configure the external location in Buildroot via
"BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE". File locations are relative to
the Buildroot directory or absolute and may use BR2_* environment
variables.

2. The rsync() for the kernel tree will copy any existing .config* files
into the build location, which may be responsible for your strange
issue. Remove configuration fragments from your source tree or modify
the rsync() command.

2. To verify that the correct kernel config is picked up, run
   # make linux-nconfig
from the Buildroot directory and check the configuration.

3. An in-tree DTS name is relative to the dts directory
(arch/arm/boot/dts) and without the file extension (.dts).

Kind regards,
Andreas