[Buildroot] More maintainers

Christian Stewart christian at paral.in
Sat Sep 5 04:52:53 UTC 2020

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 2:10 PM Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com> wrote:
> I think it is unrealistic to think that review bandwidth won't always be
> an issue. Given the meta nature (a build system of buildsystems) of
> Buildroot, no automation will ever be a substitute for real human
> review.

"No robotic pilot can ever beat a human!"

I think you're right about architectural changes, there's probably
some maintenance tasks that could be fully automated (at least for
approval) with some rules. The most simple example would be upgrades:
auto bump version + hash -> e2e test in Docker container -> manual
review period of 2-3 days -> merge. If any issue in this process, open
a bug report w/ the results.

This is how tools like "Dependabot" and "Greenkeeper" work today for
other projects. We could opt-in packages for automated bump testing -
for docker-engine it would be fine for example.

> So yes, lets please discuss concrete improvements to the automation
> checks we already have or ways to get more people to help review rather
> than yet another discussion about the merits of pull requests versus
> emails.

One thing I'm working on right now is automated testing on
cross-compile targets - like Odroid, Raspberry Pi, etc, with network
boot + watchdog of course.

Probably with a very extensive test matrix, it could be possible to
allow very small patches to be merged automatically to "next" with a
qualifying # of reviewed-by?

Best regards,
Christian