[Buildroot] More maintainers

Christian Stewart christian at paral.in
Thu Sep 10 22:30:04 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Thank you all for your time on the phone discussion today. I really
appreciated hearing everyone's viewpoints.

My goal here is /not/ to fragment the project, but rather find a way
to allow everyone's desired workflows to come together.

In terms of the social issue with getting more quality Reviewed-by,
that is not something I know any solution to.

As for tooling;

I don't see any incompatibility between emails and GitLab - if we have
a bot that formats the discussion on GitLab into the exact same format
we expect in emails, and vise-versa.

Is there really a direct issue with having the same information in two places?

So: to be most useful, this is what I will try to start work on this
week towards this topic:

 - Bot prototype for syncing between emails and GitLab PRs
 - Automated CI w/ Buildroot in Initramfs against "real hardware"
(odroid, pi, intel mostly)
 - Contributing more GitLab runners for the CI using spare compute resources.
 - Automated PR + test (and then my own manual review) of the patch backlog.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 8:21 AM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 17:02:20 +0200
> Heiko Thiery <heiko.thiery at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > regarding to this discussion I also have two infos I would like to
> > share with you:
> >
> > [1] "As GitLab has grown over the years, we’re incredibly humbled by
> > the number of users who choose to use our free platform. As the
> > adoption of our free product has scaled, so have the underlying costs
> > to support it. As we are committed to continue to support the free
> > product for the larger community, we need to implement further CI/CD
> > limits on GitLab.com. This change is only applicable to free
> > GitLab.com users—current GitLab.com paid tiers and all self-managed
> > GitLab tiers will remain unchanged."
> >
> > Does the buildroot gitlab is affected by this change? Or is buildroot
> > a member of the GitLab for Open Source program [2]?
>
> For gitlab.com/buildroot/buildroot, we are using our own Gitlab CI
> runners, and not the free runners, so my understanding is that we are
> not affected by this change.

Would be interested to hear what everyone thinks of the concept of
keeping both e-mail and GitLab together.

Best regards,
Christian Stewart