[Buildroot] Unable to apply a patch for the buildroot makedevs tool

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Apr 26 21:48:31 UTC 2021

 > Ivan, All,
 > On 2021-04-16 06:58 +0000, Ivan Castell spake thusly:
 >> Hello! I did a patch for the makedevs tool that provides a new 'x' option
 >> that allows setting permissions for directories recursively without
 >> modifiying permissions for regular files.

 > As Peter said, makedev is directly compiled from its single source file
 > in Buildroot's tree, so no way to patch it with the standard package
 > infrastructure.

With that said, there is no specific reason why this is done like that -
And E.G. mcookie does copy its .c file to the build directory so the
patch step works - So it IMHO makes sense to fix makedevs to also do it
so the normal infrastructure works as expected.

I've sent a series to do that:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=240851

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard