[Buildroot] [RFC 2/2] docs/manual/migrating.txt: add "individual packages" section

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Tue Aug 3 21:35:23 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 21:47:58 +0200
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr> wrote:

> People are really still using tarballs in these days? ;-) But OK, you've
> got a point.
>
> However, I would still think that people who want to follow a process
> when updating are probably already using buildroot a git submodule of
> some sorts, so yes, they will have a git tree to look at.
>
> People who use a released tarball are not really looking for a sustained
> or long-term vision, and are not planning on upgrading.

I was also surprised, but the other day, a person working for a large
IP vendor company complained that he was not able to download the
Buildroot tarballs. For some reason, the IP of this company had been
blocked in iptables rules of buildroot.org. When I suggested to use Git
instead, and especially the Github or Gitlab mirrors as a workaround,
it apparently wasn't considered really a good solution.

So it does seem like some people are still using the tarballs, indeed.

Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com