[Buildroot] csky 8xx toolchain issue

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:39:18 UTC 2021

Hello Guo,

I noticed that the csky 8xx toolchain doesn't build with a recent compiler.
It trigger an internal compiler error with the gcc installed on the host (Debian
buster, gcc 8.3.0-6); Fedora 33, gcc 10.3.1-1; Fedora 34, gcc 11.0.1-0.3).

[qemu_csky807_virt_defconfig]
https://gitlab.com/kubu93/buildroot/-/jobs/1535464974

[qemu_csky810_virt_defconfig]
https://gitlab.com/kubu93/buildroot/-/jobs/1535464975

[qemu_csky860_virt_defconfig]
https://gitlab.com/kubu93/buildroot/-/jobs/1535464976

The last know host compiler is gcc 6 from Debian stretch that is still used by
the gitlab-ci builds. It was not noticed before because csky is not tested by
Buildroot autobuilders.

Since csky is now upstream in gcc/binutils and the csky internal toolchain is
based on gcc 6, it would make sens to upgrade to an upstream version.

Can you update the csky toolchain?

I'm not sure what we have to do for the upcoming 2021.08 release.
Remove csky defconfigs and the gcc csky fork (select
BR2_ARCH_HAS_NO_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT)?
Thomas, what do you think?

Best regards,
Romain