[Buildroot] Host tar 1.32 build issues

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jan 12 08:39:22 UTC 2021

On 12/01/2021 00:45, Markus Mayer via buildroot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that host tar is no longer locked to 1.29 and has been
> bumped to 1.32. The only problem is that the host tar build requires
> tar in CPIO format, and that 1.32 does not exist as CPIO archive on
> the official server. As per http://mirror.sergal.org/gnu/tar/, tar
> 1.31 is the latest that has a CPIO archive. 1.32 and 1.33 do not.
>
> Naturally, that currently causes the build to fail if
> BR2_FORCE_HOST_BUILD is enabled.

 Good catch!

> I don't know if the absence of CPIO archives is temporary or
> permanent.

 AFAIU it's permanent :-(

> It might be better to use tar-latest.cpio.gz as the host
> tar version to prevent this issue from happening again in the future.
>
> -HOST_TAR_SOURCE = tar-$(TAR_VERSION).cpio.gz
> +HOST_TAR_SOURCE = tar-latest.cpio.gz
>
> I tried this out and, while it would be nice, it doesn't seem to be
> possible to do it this way, because the directory inside the tar-ball
> is the actual version number. It would try to use
> "build/host-tar-last/tar-last/*" which doesn't exist, and the build
> still fails.

 It should be possible to overcome this problem with:

-        mv $(@D)/tar-$(HOST_TAR_VERSION)/* $(@D)

(untested, of course).

 And for good measure, remove $(@D)/tar-* before extraction.

 An alternative is to download a tarball and extract it with custom extraction
commands that don't use --strip-components or --exclude or $(TAR_OPTIONS). That
way, we can extract it with any POSIX-y tar version.

 Regards,
 Arnout