[Buildroot] Is there a better version of vi?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Jun 7 19:16:49 UTC 2021

On 03/06/2021 15:27, David Laight wrote:
> The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
> I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.

Symbol: BR2_PACKAGE_VIM [=n]

Type  : bool

Prompt: vim

  Location:

    -> Target packages

(1)   -> Text editors and viewers

  Defined at package/vim/Config.in:1

  Depends on: BR2_USE_MMU [=y] && BR2_USE_WCHAR [=y] &&
BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS [=y]
  Selects: BR2_PACKAGE_NCURSES [=n]

 I suspect you didn't turn on BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS

 vim is pretty large though, adding nvi might be a good idea. Feel free to send
a patch!

 Regards,
 Arnout