[Buildroot] Is there a better version of vi?

David Laight David.Laight at ACULAB.COM
Tue Jun 8 08:16:00 UTC 2021

From: Arnout Vandecappelle
> Sent: 07 June 2021 20:17
>
> On 03/06/2021 15:27, David Laight wrote:
> > The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
> > I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.
>
> Symbol: BR2_PACKAGE_VIM [=n]
>
> Type  : bool
>
> Prompt: vim
>
>   Location:
>
>     -> Target packages
>
> (1)   -> Text editors and viewers
>
>   Defined at package/vim/Config.in:1
>
>   Depends on: BR2_USE_MMU [=y] && BR2_USE_WCHAR [=y] &&
> BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS [=y]
>   Selects: BR2_PACKAGE_NCURSES [=n]
>
>  I suspect you didn't turn on BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS

Probably because it is hidden!

>  vim is pretty large though,

It also contains a lot of pointless crap.
Killing all the 'plugins' would be a start.

My current build is for an x86 with an SSD - size doesn't
really matter.
OTOH I've removed python to save build time - not needed.

> adding nvi might be a good idea. Feel free to send a patch!

:-)
I wonder if the fixes I did to netBSD's version got back
to (whatever) the main repository is.

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)