[Buildroot] Verifying linux 5.4.x hashes

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Fri May 28 20:17:00 UTC 2021

Arnout, All,

On 2021-05-28 22:03 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle spake thusly:
> On 28/05/2021 21:55, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > On 2021-05-28 17:15 +0000, Ian Merin via buildroot spake thusly:
> >> What would be the method to have buildroot download the ???latest???
> >> 5.4.x kernel and also verify its hash against linux.hash?
> > And now a quick summary for that part;
> >
> >  1. expand the hash-checking infra to accept custom hashes; that would
> >     impact:
> >         package/pkg-generic
> >         package/pkg-download
> >         support/download/dl-wrapper
> >         support/download/check-hash
> >
> >  2. in linux/Config.in add a new entry for custom version:
> >         BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_VERSION_HASHES="sha256:1234abcd sha512:abcd1234"
> >
> > Note that I am not vey fond of the hash being set in the menuconfig, but
> > I don't have a definitive better idea.
>  Why not? The kernel version itself is specified in the config file, so it makes
> sense that the hash is there to. Compare to a normal package, where the version
> and the hash are both specified in the package itself.
> > One thing to consider, though: people that want to check custom versions
> > are probably already using a br2-external tree, so they could very well
> > set such hashes in their tree, e.g;
>  That doesn't work at all! You can have two different configs (with two
> different kernel versions) in the same external, so you need to make the hash
> specific for the config. An easy way to do that: make the hash part of the
> config :-)

That is why a email client is not meant to write code: you can't test
it. ;-)

But more seriously, that is still doable with some hackery (which means:
don't do it):

    LINUX_CUSTOM_HASH_5.4.123 = sha256:1234abcd
    LINUX_CUSTOM_HASH_5.10.25 = sha256:1234abcd

and so on... Of course, that is still limiting to a set of know versions.
But in a project, the set of kernel versions to ever use is more often
than not very small, i.e. probably a single one, or just one per
suported board...

But OK, the hash in Config.in is more flexible, so yes, Ian: go with
that initial idea of yours.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |