[Buildroot] Arc and C-Sky toolchains

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Fri Sep 10 15:18:15 UTC 2021

On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 23:29:07 +0200
Giulio Benetti <giulio.benetti at benettiengineering.com> wrote:

> I can't understand the reason why Arc and C-Sky provide a special
> toolchain(i.e. synopsis gcc10) instead of treating them like external
> toolchains. Can you help me in understanding this?

You're confusing things here.

ARC and C-SKY support is (was for ARC) not in upstream
gcc/binutils/gdb, so we have (had) to use specific forks of these
projects, that have support for those CPU architectures.

This is completely independent from the ability to use external
toolchains for those CPU architectures.

An external toolchain is a pre-compiled toolchain. Here what we want is
support for ARC and C-SKY in our internal toolchain backend, where
Buildroot builds gcc/binutils/gdb/libc.

Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training
https://bootlin.com